I know I shouldn't, considering the havoc they create for Gaia.....
So!
I've been thinking of ways to recycle trash, rather than go trotting off on a guilt trip.
You even get to save some money on buying new toys for your little one by making them yourself!
IDEA #1: Bottle Poleys
Why throw out your Yakult/Vitagen bottles?
Scoop in some rice or beads or bells(remember to wash and dry the bottles first!), tape two bottles mouth to mouth, stick some colourful felt around them, and what do you get?
This!

Directions for use:
(1) as rattles (he'll love the sounds made by them)
(2) arrange them around your baby's feet and then watch him kick the bottles down!
(3) stack the bottles up (ala totem pole) and watch him topple them with his hands (or feet). Remember to praise lots when the 'pole' comes crashing down! :)
(4) as bowling pins. Encourage your little one to kick a ball towards the bottles to knock them down! For bigger kids, teach them to roll the ball instead!
Jeddy putting his thunder thighs to good use. ;D

IDEA #2: Crunchy Chew Cloth
I don't know about your little precious. But mine loves the crinkly sound and texture of plastic foil (is that how we call it?) wrappers. He's always reaching out and grabbing the bag of wet wipes during his diaper change.
He'll then give it a good squash in his hands, try to stuff it into his mouth, and then squash it some more. What can I say? He's smitten.
But this wrapper has sharp edges, so I don't really let him play with it much or let it get near his eyes and face, which is really a shame.... until something struck me.
All you need is a towelette (preferably with cute prints to attract attention), needle and thread, and one of those wet wipes wrapper which you were gonna throw out.
Optional: Fill the wrapper with some big beads or bells and tape the opening close for added security.
Fold towelette around wrapper and sew the edges close. The point is to cover those sharp edges.
Tada! A crinkly chew cloth!

Direction for use: Just throw it at your baby (I do that. ;P). Watch him grab and squash the cloth, all while relishing the sound it makes. Let him chew to his heart's content! (Note: the beads or bells gives added audio and tactile stimulation!)
This chew cloth works great for me cos it keeps Jeddy occupied when I need to change his diapers...
Well? What are you waiting for? Go make some chew cloth and bottle poleys! ;D
Have other great gaia-loving, money-saving ideas? Do share!
Till then, enjoy!
........


5 comments:
Sum! You are simply amazing! Brilliant! If I ever get around to having kids, I will attempt these crafty toy ideas!
great ideas! can't wait to make some bottle poleys for isaac! Yeah, Isaac loves to chew on cloth!!! He keeps pulling whatever cloth around him to chew, if there isn't any, he'd pull his own shirt to chew! hahaha... great idea your crinkly cloth thingy. But think u shd change the crinkly-insides once in awhile, in case Jeddy's saliva wet wet, encourage mould growth. Am kinda paraoid about mould :p
oh, I make these shaker thingys too, as a musical intrument for my playback theatre group. But I just use those empty, clear mineral water bottles, and put macaroni in them. Different size macaroni/pasta would make different sort of sound, differnet amount - also different sounds. Can also colour the macaroni in different colours, then can see the bright colours through the transparent bottle. hehehe...
oh, I've been thinking of making finger castanets with metal bottle caps too - but that wouldn't be baby-friendly coz of the sharp edges of the bottle caps.
"Just throw it at your baby (I do that. ;P)"
can just imagine you doing that and going heh heh...
Lil monster Jed is really lucky to have you as his uber cool planet saving mama :D
kay, thanks! I'm sure you'll have beautiful kids in time to come... *hugs* :)
pam, you're right! Think I'll make a hanky pouch using velcro. In that way, I can always change the wet wipes package and wash the hanky. Thanks for the reminder!
may may, tee hee hee... I've been known to throw all sorts of things at him. Diaper, pyjamas, soft toys, etc.... you know me. ;D
Post a Comment